Rebels head into second round with shut out of East Webster

First-round jitters were nowhere to be found for the Scott Central Rebels as they clashed with the East Webster Wolverines in round one of the MHSAA Championship playoffs last Friday night. True to form, the Rebels nailed every aspect of the game — offense, defense, and special teams — to attain a shutout victory against the Wolverines.
Though things started slow, the Rebels came hard, scored 51 points by the end of the game, and defensively denied the Wolverines from scoring.
When asked what, if any, challenges were presented by the elements this week, Coach Jim Nowell said, “There was a 30-minute lightning delay, but it never rained.” About the game itself, Coach Nowell said, “Great win. They are a solid team and played us real hard, especially in the first half. Our defense scored three times.”
The first quarter was scoreless, but that does not mean it was uneventful. Scott Central kicked off to East Webster and was quickly forced to punt by the superb Rebel defense. During Scott Central’s initial possession, East Webster recovered a fumble by Scott Central, but had to punt subsequently. Scott Central was forced to turn the ball over on downs, and East Webster punted to close the first quarter.
The score was Scott Central 0, East Webster 0 when the first quarter ended. The Rebels would open the second quarter with possession of the ball.
Scott Central heated up in the second quarter. A minute in, quarterback TJ Wash score a 58-yard rushing touchdown with a good point after. After they kicked off, Scott Central scored a safety by tackling East Webster’s kicking receiver in the end zone for two points. East Webster recovered a fumble after they kicked off to Scott Central, but were unable to capitalize and punted. Wash again scored a long rushing touchdown of 64 yards with a successful point after touchdown kick.
Following Scott Central’s kickoff, East Webster punted, then the Rebels turned the possession over on downs, and the Wolverines punted again. Wash scored his third rushing touchdown, a 25-yarder and a good point after kick, to bring the score to Scott Central 22, East Webster 0 at the end of the half.
Only one touchdown was scored in the third quarter. Kimond McDonald returned a punt for a 41-yard touchdown run. The 30-minute lightning delay took place in the third quarter. The score at the end of the third quarter was Scott Central 30, East Webster 0.
The Rebels turned up the pressure again the fourth and final quarter. Hydee Barlow returned a fumble recovery for a 38-yard touchdown. Jackie Donald scored two rushing touchdowns — a 15-yarder and a 1-yarder. The final score was Scott Central 51, East Webster 0.
Statistically, the Rebels’ passing/receiving stats was lower than normal, with four out of nine pass attempts completed for 30 yards. On 30 carries, the Rebels rushed for 237 yards, for a total offense of 267 yards. The Rebels had 44 solo and 34 assisted tackles for 78 total tackles, 11 of which were quarterback sacks, and 20 yards worth of tackles for loss against the Wolverines. One interception and two fumble recoveries were made by the Rebel defense.
With a record of 11-1, the Rebels travel to Rosedale to challenge the West Bolivar Eagles (6-1-1) this Friday at 7:00 p.m. for round two of the playoffs.